Macon - Bibb County Planning & Zoning Commission

Your information portal to planning, zoning and development review in Macon and Bibb County...

 Transportation  |  ZoningMBPZ NewsContact Us




(2) What is my property zoned?
      The official zoning maps for Macon/ Bibb County are maintained in map form at the Zoning
      Office. You may view these maps during normal business hours (8:30 A.M. - 5 P.M.
      Monday - Friday). To obtain the zoning of property one may come to our offices in person,
      contact the office by phone at 478-751-7450, or request the zoning information in writing
      either by mail or fax (Fax #: 478-751-7478)

(3) What uses are allowed in my zoning district?
     The uses that are allowed depend on the zoning district. The Comprehensive Land Development
     Resolution is located under the "Codes/Ordinances" section. The text lists the kind of uses
     permitted (which can be issued at staff level) or conditional (which require approval from the
     Macon/Bibb County Planning and Zoning Commission) in each zoning district. It also notes
     restrictions on the location buildings on a lot, the maximum height of buildings, the minimum lot
     size allowed, and the density of development permitted. The text also gives requirements for
     parking and signage.

(4) What is a conditional use?
     A conditional use is a use that the commission, after review of the application and hearing
     thereon,determines to be consistent with the general plan and in the public interest. Contact
     the Zoning office at (478) 751-7450 for more information.

(5) What are setbacks? What are the setbacks for my property?
      Setbacks are the minimum distances from the property lines that are required by the zoning
      regulations. The setbacks vary depending on the zoning district.

(6) What type of permanent signage can I install for my business?
     The type of signage allowed varies depending on the zoning district and type of use.
     See tables 25.06(1-6) for more information.

(7) How do I obtain a sign permit?
      In order to obtain a sign permit a signage application, permit fee, a sketch of the
      sign and site plan for sign placement must be submitted to the zoning office.

(8) Does a banner require a zoning permit?
      Banners do not require a permit, but only one banner is allowed per establishment and
      banners shall be governed by the following:

       (a)  Banners shall:
 Only be allowed on front walls, and shall not extend above the front wall.
        (ii)  Not exceed twenty-four (24) square feet in area;
        (iii) Not be attached to, or between telephones poles, fences, fence poles, utility poles,
             public or private light poles, trees, vehicles, or any other apparatus other than a 
             building wall;
        (iv) Not be placed on the roof of any building;
        (v) Be maintained in a neat and attractive condition; and
        (vi) Be permitted in C-1, C-2, CBD-1, CBD-2, C-4, C-5, M-1, M-2, M-3, PDC, PDI, and PDE
             zoning districts and on buildings containing an institutional use

(9) Am I allowed to operate a business from my home?
      Certain types of business are allowed to be operated from the home and require a home
     occupation permit. See section 23.01 of the zoning regulations for specific information.
     Written permission from the owner of the property must be obtained if the applicant is
     not the owner.

(10) A "Rezoning" sign was posted on my neighbor's property, what does it mean?
       A Rezoning sign is placed when the person(s) owning the property has petitioned the
       Macon-Bibb County Planning & Zoning Commission to change the zoning of the property.
       By law, the sign must be placed on the petitioned property. You may call the Zoning office
       to obtain additional information about the rezoning request

(11) How do I apply to change my zoning district? What is the process to rezone a property?
       A request to change a zoning district is called rezoning. It is highly recommended that the
       applicant meet with the Planning and Zoning staff prior to submitting the rezoning application
       for a pre-application conference. The purpose of the pre-application conferenceis to familiarize the
       applicant with the rezoning process and to discuss the particulars of the rezoning proposals.
       When the appropriate district has been determined the property owner submits a completed rezoning
       application, a "metes and bounds" legal description of the property requested for change, rezoning
       fee (see fee schedule) and a site-plan (two full size sets-no larger than 24x36, one reduced-no
       larger than 11x17) and a detailed narrative description of the proposal to the Zoning Department.

      A person may not file a rezoning application on someone else's property unless he or she has
      signed legal authorization from the property owner.The primary considerations are the compatibility
      of the proposed change with surrounding uses and compatibility with the goals objectives and policies
      of the area's Comprehensive Plan and future land use plan.

(12) How do I challenge a Rezoning?
       If you wish to challenge a proposed rezoning your primary opportunity is during the public hearing
       scheduled by the Macon-Bibb County Planning and Zoning Commission. You may also submit a
       challenge or protest in writing to the Zoning office on or before the Thursday preceding the Zoning
       hearing. Ten (10) copies of the written challenge or protest must be submitted.

(13) What is an accessory building /structure (examples: storage building, shed, carport, barn,
          etc.), and what are the requirements for them?
          An accessory building /structure is a secondary structure, clearly incidental and related to the   
          primary structure building or use of land, which does not alter, change, or in any way detract 
          from the principal structure, building, or use of land and is located on the same lot as that of the  
          principal structure, building, or use.

        Accessory Buildings in Residential and Agricultural Districts:

    • Attached to main dwelling. Where an accessory building is attached to the main building, a substantial part of one wall of the accessory building must be an integral part of the main building, and such accessory building must be attached to the main building in a substantial manner by a roof. Such attached accessory building shall comply in all respects with the requirements applicable to the main building.
    • Detached from main dwelling. A detached accessory building shall not be closer than twenty (20) feet to the main dwelling, not closer than five (5) feet to any interior lot line. The accessory building shall comply with the setback requirements from rights-of-way for the main dwelling, but in no case shall the accessory building be located between the actual building line of the main dwelling and a right-of-way line
    • Height and lot coverage requirements for detached accessory building. A detached accessory building shall not exceed two (2) stories in height and shall not be located in a front yard nor cover more than thirty (30) percent of the side or rear yard
      A Zoning permit must be obtained from the Zoning office for an accessory building and in some cases a building permit will be required from the Bureau of Inspections and Fees

(14) What are the requirements for a fence? Where can I build a fence on my residential
       A fence is a structure, barrier, or enclosure, sturdily constructed of permanent materials such as
       wood, metal or wire gauge chain-links, stone (brick), etc. that is used to mark a boundary, define a
       specific area, or enclose a site for the purpose of protection, privacy or confinement.

    • Location. Fences (walls and decorative fences) shall not be located outside or beyond the property or lot lines of the lot/property. A fence shall be placed no closer to the public right-of-way than ten (10) feet. No fence or wall shall constitute an obstruction to the vision for or create a hazard to vehicular traffic.
    • Height. Fences shall not exceed four feet in height in front yards or eight (8) feet in height in side or rear yards for all residential zoning districts; nor shall fences exceed eight (8) feet in height in any yard in commercial or industrial zoning districts.All designated fence heights must exist without the use of additions or extensions (barbed wire, razor wire, etc.) in meeting height requirements. (e.g., a ten-foot fence in a commercial area must be ten (10) feet of fence, not eight (8) feet of fence and two (2) feet of barbed wire).
    • Design and type. All fences shall be constructed with the finished side exposed, the support posts placed on the inside, and in a manner which serves to enhance the aesthetic appearance of the neighborhood or surrounding area.Barbed wire fences or barbed wire assemblies or additions atop fences shall be prohibited in all residential districts. In commercial zoning districts, such fences may be allowed by the Commission as a conditional use.
    • Barbed wire fences are permitted in agricultural and industrial districts with the following restrictions.Barbed wire assemblies or additions shall be restricted to three horizontal wire strands not to exceed a maximum of eighteen (18) inches.Barbed wire assemblies shall be erected atop fences with a minimum height of six (6) feet;Razor ribbon shall be prohibited.

(15) What is the "subdivision" of property?
       Subdivision is the division of a lot tract or parcel of land into two (2) or more lots plots or parcels or
       building sites for the purpose of either immediate or future sale or building development.

(16) What do I do if I think my neighbor is violating a zoning ordinance/ code?
        Please call the Zoning Office at (478) 751-7450. You may also wish to consult the Comprehensive 
         Land Development Resolution of Macon-Bibb County for all zoning regulations. You may also
        download a Service Request form and mail it to the Macon-Bibb County Planning Zoning
         Commissionat 682 Cherry Street,Suite 1000, Macon, Georgia 31021 or e-mail the Service Request to

(17) What is a variance?
        A variance is a modification of the strict terms of the Zoning Regulations with regard to the
        development. This does not include a variance as to a use of land within a specified zone, but does
        concern performance standards

(18) May I operate a daycare from my home?
       A daycare home may be allowed as a permitted use if the following requirements can be met. A 
       zoning permit is required in order to operate the daycare home .

    • The day care home shall be clearly incidental to the residential use of the dwelling and conducted in such a manner that the average neighbor, under normal circumstances, would not be aware of the day care home's existence.
    • The use of accessory buildings in connection with the day care home shall be prohibited.
    • The operator of a day care home shall be the owner of the property or as a renter have written permission from the property owner.
      The operator shall reside in the dwelling as their permanent residence.
    • No more than six (6) children under the age of seventeen (17) may be cared for at any one (1) time, including those that are permanent residents of the dwelling where the day care home is located.
    • Outdoor play area shall be fenced or otherwise enclosed and shall not include driveways, parking areas or land unsuited for children's play area. Outdoor play area shall not be allowed in the front or side yards of the dwelling.
    • Hours of operation shall be limited to Monday thru Friday from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
    • No signage, other than such signs allowed in Chapter 25 of this resolution, shall be permitted.
    • No part-time or full-time employees shall be allowed except as required by State of Georgia Day Care Licensing for emergency situations.
    • The location must meet all performance and development standards for the district in which the day care home is located.
    • Day care homes shall only be allowed within single family detached dwellings.
    • All local, state, and federal requirements that pertain to the use and operation of a day care home shall be met.

(19) May I operate a group or personal care home from my residence?
       A group or personal care home is a conditional use in certain zoning districts that requires approval
       from the Macon-Bibb County Planning and Zoning Commission at a zoning hearing. A maximum of
       four realted people may live together ina any zoning disrtict without zoing approval.

(20) What are the requirements for a daycare center?
        A daycare center may be allowed as a conditional use in certain zoning districts if the following
        requirements can be met.

    • The property shall have a minimum lot area of 43,560 square feet (1 acre)
    • The property must have a minimum lot width of 150 feet.
    • Yard requirements (building setback distance)      
        Front yard: 50 feet in all zoning districts, except Agricultural in which case it shall be 60 feet
        Rear yard: 50 feet in all Zoning districts
        Side yard: 50 feet in all Zoning districts

(21) May I have a horse, chicken, pig, etc. on my property?
        Livestock and poultry are allowed in the Agricultural zoning district only provided that there shall be 
       no structure containing poultry or livestock; storage of manure or other odor-or sust producing   
       substances. located within fve hundred (500)feet of a residential district or two hundred (200) feet of
       any property line,

(22) How do I determine what my property lines are?
       If you cannot locate a survey marker or "pin", the only way to be certain of a property line is to hire a
       licensed land surveyor to locate the property line.

No more than one (1) commercial vehicle per dwelling shall be permitted, and in no case shall a commercial vehicle used for hauling explosives, gasoline, or liquefied petroleum products be permitted;
A commercial vehicle shall be of a size no greater than ten thousand (10,000) pounds gross vehicle weight;
Travel trailers, hauling trailers, or boat trailers shall be permitted if parked or stored behind the front yard building line; and
A travel trailer shall not be occupied either temporarily or permanently while it is parked or stored in any area except a travel trailer park authorized under this Resolution.
(23) May I store/park a commercial vehicle or trailer on a residentially zoned lot?
       Commercial vehicles and trailers of all types, including travel, boat, camping, and hauling shall not be
       parked or stored on any lot occupied by a dwelling or any lot in any residential district except in
       accordance with the following requirements:(24) Do I need a zoning permit to do interior renovations?
       No, a zoning permit is not required for interior construction/renovations. The zoning office will issue you a "Proposed Construction Work Review" form to submit to the Inspection and Fees Department to obtain
       a building permit. A zoning permit must be obtained for a new commercial business, home occupation,
       sign, or exterior building addition.

(25) Is my property in the flood plain?
       The zoning office does not regulate the flood plain. Depending on where your property is, please
       contact the City Engineer (478) 751-7180 or County Engineer (478) 621-6660

(26) May I have a manufactured home on my property?
       Manufactured homes are permitted uses in MHR (Manufactured Home Residential) districts, and a
       conditional use in A (Agricultural), provided the applicable requirements of Section 23.09 of the
       Comprehensive Land Development Resolution are met.



  HomeAbout Us Privacy |   Disclaimer | Search

  :: Add Site to RSS News FeedGoogleYahoo ::